Hello! I’m wrapping up the dual-degree program in sustainable business (MBA + MS) at the University of Michigan, focusing on Behavior, Education, and Communication. I'm interning at abillion this spring/summer and graduating in August. My experiences at digital health and food startups have helped me develop a user-centered mindset and embrace collaboration, especially around making plant-based eating easier.* If you're interested in working together, please message me at email@example.com or on LinkedIn.
Thanks for being here!
*Why plant-based? 🥬
Plant-based eating can be incredibly beneficial for improving our health and healthcare system, reducing wasteful spending and environmental harm, and ending unnecessary suffering. Unfortunately, these benefits are often underappreciated while the barriers to plant-based eating are exaggerated. So, abillion and Wellwith make it easy to explore the benefits and eat more plants.
Why beans? (See cover image; credit)
Beans are inexpensive, earth-friendly, delicious, versatile nutritional powerhouses. To me, they epitomize the untapped potential and misunderstood nature of plant-based eating — and that's exciting! Because when we realize that beans are more than the "musical fruit" we eat more of them, and our health, animals, and the planet are better for it. The same is true of plant-based eating in general.
💼 Experience + Education
📈 Business Development Intern @ abillion (Current)
🍍 Founder @ Wellwith (Current)
- Wellwith makes it easy to explore healthy resources and turn them into action. Instead of frantic social media feeds, it's a space for thoughtfully curated content from people and brands you care about.
- To keep things simple as we start up, we're zooming in on one practice that benefits several dimensions of well-being: plant-based eating. From there, we'll support content curation for other practices including walking, sleep, meditation, and yoga. This broader focus will appeal to folks who wouldn't otherwise consider plant-based eating and thus accelerate our transition to a vegan world.
- To see a sampling of Wellwith pages, please scroll down to the "Sample Work" section.
- To start exploring content and create your page, visit wellwith.me. Thank you!
🥑 Outreach Associate (SF Bay Area) + Delivery Driver @ Imperfect Foods
- I joined the Imperfect team in January 2020 to create an on-the-ground presence at Bay Area events and help build their corporate partnership offering. Then, COVID hit in early March and both of those efforts were cut off along with the Outreach department itself. I appreciate what the company is doing, look forward to seeing how they evolve, and continue to apply my learnings to create a more sustainable food system!
🥦 HarvestRx Research Intern + Delivery Driver @ Hungry Harvest
- HarvestRx is a door-to-door delivery service that makes nutritious, easy-to-prep fruits and veggies more accessible. Through April 2019, Hungry Harvest had mostly partnered with nonprofit health and community organizations to offer grant-subsidized produce for the program.
- As Research Intern, I quickly realized the limitations of this grant-dependent approach. So, I spent most of the summer exploring alternative funding and growth opportunities. Though the program was ultimately determined to be a low priority, my eyes were opened to the exciting potential of healthy food access for public health, fiscal responsibility, and business development efforts, and I continue to apply those learnings.
🍠 Digital Health Coach + PLC Program Lead @ Omada Health
- Delivered Prevent, Omada’s flagship digital therapeutics program, to 470 participants who lost a combined 3,314 pounds, averaging 7.1 pounds lost and a corresponding 38 percent risk reduction for type-2 diabetes development.
- Selected as Professional Learning Community (PLC) Leader and Program Lead. Led teams of six to eight coaches in creating and running experiments to develop best practices. Served as liaison between PLC leaders and management.
- Represented Omada at in-person events.
🖊️ MBA + MS, Sustainability @ University of Michigan Erb Institute (Graduating August 2021)
🎓 BS, Movement Science @ University of Michigan School of Kinesiology
🇺🇸 English: Native speaker
🇪🇸 Spanish: Working toward conversational
🔍 Sample Work
Below is a sampling of Wellwith pages. Once an organization or individual claims their page, they can add curated resources, healthy actions, and shout-outs and easily share their link (wellwith.me/username) with friends or community members. Unlike social media, which tends to distract and keep people online, Wellwith pages are designed to facilitate healthy action offline.
And here are a couple of blog articles I wrote after doing business development research for Hungry Harvest's prescription produce program, HarvestRx:
Building the case for food as prevention
The term "prescription produce" conjures images of doctors scribbling scripts for apples and carrots, but it has come to refer more broadly to efforts to improve access to healthy food. We must build evidence for and expand those efforts.
Beyond prescription produce: Harnessing nutrition benefits
In my previous post [insert link] I discussed our insufficient emphasis on " ." Prescription produce is a step in the right direction but is only one part of the puzzle, and the efforts of academics and nonprofits are necessary but not sufficient.
📈 Diving into internship!
🎓 Finishing grad school
Thanks to Shelley Pauls via Unsplash for the bean cover image!
Beans are inexpensive, earth-friendly, delicious, versatile nutritional powerhouses. To me, they epitomize the untapped potential and misunderstood nature of plant-based eating — and that's exciting! Because when we realize that beans are more than the "musical fruit," we eat more of them, and our health, animals and the planet are better for it. The same is true of plant-based eating in general.
Updated June 3, 2021